Shawn peed in toilet this morning!! This is getting exciting! I still think it’s more about timing than Shawn’s actual effort - but who cares?! This is great!
It’s a gloomy, rainy day. Good thing there’s a Pet Expo going on at Arlington Race Track today! Luckily, it’s indoors and not actually out on the race track. There were mostly dogs, a couple of cats, and one booth with reptiles. We watched a team of Frisbee catching dogs do some pretty incredible jumps and tricks. Lots of vendors came to sell their pet supplies, food, etc. There were many rescue organizations showing off their breeds and Shawn and I pet dozens of them. (If we had gotten there earlier, we probably would have pet all them at least once!) Shawn showed absolutely no interest in any of the dogs smaller than him - it was as if he looked right past them, looking for something more interesting. BUT, whenever we walked by a big breed dog, there was a magnetic pull that he/I/we couldn't resist! (He is his mother's son!) One of those magnetic breeds was a breed I'd never heard of before: the Leonberger. We met one that was just 8 months old who could easily have used Shawn as a chin rest. When Shawn walked up to him, he laid down as if to say, "I'll lay here for as long as you are willing to pet me!" So, Shawn nestled between his front and back legs and played in his fur. A few minutes later, another Leonberger came over to join the party and laid down on the other side of Shawn, who was now the middle of a great big Leo-sandwich! I think Shawn had the most comfortable (and the warmest) seat in the house! He was thrilled and, with one hand gently on each bear-like animal, grinned from ear to ear. I really wish I had taken a picture, but I was too busy enjoying the scene to even think about it until it was too late.
Could there be a Leo (or some other large breed dog) in our future? Shawn and I may have some work to do before Raj is comfortable with that idea!
Maybe a house with a larger yard would be a good starting point. Have you asked Baron what he thinks?
ReplyDeleteI've definitely read about the breed after meeting them in person. The man at the Leoberger booth mentioned that their club provides advice to other owners about what vacuums can handle the shedded Leo fur!!! I've also read somewhere that they don't live very long - on average about 7 years. That's practically half other dogs' lifespans!
ReplyDeleteI think Baron would like to have another dog to play with, but he'd definitely be involved in the selection process if it ever came up.
It's not likely that we'll actually get a Leo, but boy was it fun to watch Shawn fall in love with them! I'm still longing for a big bread of some sort, but I know it's certainly not going to happen in this house... if any!