Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Shawn and I dressed in green in honor of today’s holiday.  Unfortunately, it wasn’t a very green day outside though – it was nice and warm (low 60 F!), but it was grey and threatening to rain all day.  At least we didn’t need coats again today!  But, rather than risk getting caught out in the rain, we played inside and listened to lots of Celtic music!
The Drop-In Story Time at the library resumed this week, so we were excited to get back to it.  We recognized another mom and son from a Northwestern Suburban Families playgroup at the Elk Grove library a few weeks ago, though we had to re-introduce ourselves.  The other mom, Sandra, mentioned that maybe this could become an event for the NWSF members to come to, since free events are always nice to include.  I haven’t been a very active member, so it would be nice if this could be an NWSF event!
The theme for the next few weeks is ‘Going Places’ and today we focused on ‘Going to see Grandparents.’  I thought it was a little odd they didn’t do anything for St. Patrick’s Day, like ‘Going to Ireland’ perhaps! They observed Valentine’s Day and other holidays in the past, but we certainly can’t complain about honoring grandparents on any day of the year!  Anyway, Ms. Nancy read:
We learned two new rhymes:
Here are Grandma's Spectacles.
Here are Grandma's spectacles, (make circles around eyes)
And here is Grandma's hat, (place hands above head to form a hat)
And here's the way she folds her hands, (fold hands)
And puts them in her lap. (lay hands in lap)
Here are Grandpa's spectacles, (make circles around eyes)
And here is Grandpa's hat, (place hands above head to form a hat)
And here's the way he folds his arms, (fold arms)
And sits down just like that. (lean back and put up feet)
Do It for Grandma/Grandpa
(to the tune of Did You Ever See a Lassie?)
Let’s clap our hands for Grandma, for Grandma, for Grandma,
Let’s clap them this way, clap this way and that way,
Let’s clap them this way, clap this way and that way,
Let’s clap our hands for Grandma,
Let’s clap them this way
Repeat:  Let’s stomp our feet for Grandpa…

Ms. Nancy did a good job on the topic of grandparents, but I was still surprised that St. Patrick’s Day wasn’t even acknowledged!
Abby, Shawn, and I returned home to rekindle our Irish spirits.  We danced to some Celtic music and I found some books about Ireland, St. Patrick, and (of course) harps.  (Ms. Nancy, let me know if you need to borrow anything for next year!)  I even had Celtic music playing in the background while we had lunch.  After dancing our sillies out and then filling our bellies, it was nap time.
Abby woke up and was back to her home before Shawn even woke up.  I went into his room to wake him from his very long nap, only to find him already standing at the railing of his bed, “I had a good nap!”  (I love when he wakes up like this!) 

You could hear some neighborhood kids playing outside, so Shawn said, “I want to play game with boys outside!” and then asked for his football that was on top of his bookshelf, his shoes, and his Spiderman hat (which is in the laundry).  He was quite the determined little boy!  We went outside and he looked at the boys playing football, but didn’t go further than our sidewalk.  Instead, we tried out his tricycle, which has been waiting for him in the garage since he was born, but his legs are still a little too short to push the peddles.  I pushed him instead and that was just as fun.  When Raj came home, Shawn mentioned he wanted to play with the boys again, but this time he actually walked all the way over to them – by himself!  Luckily, they saw him coming and paused their game so Shawn wouldn’t get tackled.  He and Raj watched for a few minutes from a safe distance before getting the mail and delivering it back home, as their usual routine.
For dinner, St. Patrick returned!  I made corned beef, potatoes, and carrots and we drank Harp beer.  For dessert, we had homemade Shamrock Shakes w/ homemade whipped cream and green sprinkles on top.  YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment