Saturday, March 19, 2011

Dinner at 2Toots

Shawn did not sleep well last night; therefore, I did not sleep well last night.  Ugh.  This morning came much faster than I was ready for it to.  Rats.  As Raj was leaving for work, he suggested that we skip Shawn’s swimming lesson so that we could both sleep in, since Shawn was sleeping soundly now.  Though it was tempting, I knew that would throw off naptime and probably tonight’s sleep too, so I rolled out of bed and braced myself for the start of the day.

Once I was dressed and ready, I went in to wake Shawn, who I found sitting up in bed with a giant smile.  “I had a good nap!” he announced.  Well, it’s a good thing, because Momma didn’t!  He saw our gym bag in my hand and said, “Shawn and Momma go swimming pool!”  With that, we got him out of bed and out of his pajamas.  Before I put his swimming gear on, I sat him on the potty seat… just to see what would happen.  It must have been good timing because after just a few seconds - SUCCESS!  Shawn peed in the toilet!  YIPPEEEEE!!  Despite my rough night, today’s starting look not so bad after all! 
We got to the YMCA half an hour early.  The lifeguard on duty let us get in the pool even though our teacher wasn’t there yet.  Shawn did great.  The water was slightly warmer than last week, but he still shivered.  I helped Shawn practice climbing out of the pool and then scoot back in.  His arms were much more relaxed today and he was more willing to climb out and “jump” back in again.  I was hoping that being more active would help warm him up and stop his shivering, but no such luck.  Gradually, a few other students arrived and Shawn grew more and more observant.  Our friend, Tanner, and his mom, whose name I still don’t know, were back to class today.  However, there was still no teacher.  A new lifeguard on duty came over and asked us if we were a part of a class, “Because all the classes are cancelled this week for Spring Break.”  What?!?!  Our teachers told us that Spring Break is NEXT week!  I guess that explains the small class size and no teachers!  Arg.  Luckily, the lifeguard didn’t make us leave; instead, he brought over a crate of toys and encouraged us to take advantage of the unintentional “open swim” time.  So, we did.  The parents joked that aside from acting out a few nursery rhymes in a big circle, we’d probably be doing about the same thing even if the teachers had been there.  We agreed that it was nice to get an extra day of swim time out of our class membership.  Shawn and I finally needed to get going because Baron had an appointment at the groomers, but I think we’ll try to come early next week and see if we can get in the pool early again!
We rushed home, grabbed Baron, and rushed back out to the groomers (practically the same area as the YMCA was).  While “Baron taking a bath,” Shawn and I visited a thrift store down the street.  We found a couple of outdoorsy toys and two shirts that I think/hope will work as smocks, if I can get up the guts to have Shawn and Abby do some artsy-crafty projects.  With the hopes of finding some “foodrink” to snack on until Baron was ready to be picked up, we stopped at a deli that I had never noticed before.  It turned out to be a Polish grocery store, with nothing we could munch on there (mostly dried and canned goods); however, I found the mother load of KinderEgg Surprises!  Like a kid in a candy store, I grabbed a handful of them to use at Easter.  (We’ll see if I can hold out that long!) 
When we got back to the car, I got the phone call that Baron was done.  Then it was home for lunch and then naptime.  Just as I was sitting down to read Shawn a story for naptime, Raj came home.  So, we came back downstairs and played with Dadda for a little while before trying for a nap again.  This time, though he had been running around like a hyperactive squirrel moments before, Shawn fell fast asleep. 

We went out to dinner to celebrate Raj’s birthday, though it was really with Shawn in mind.  The 2Toots Train Whistle Grill was on Main Street in Glen Ellyn, steps away from the train tracks.  (It was really much more of a greasy diner, but food isn’t what they’re known for.)  Each table in the diner was situated alongside the tracks of a model train, which delivered the diners’ meals!  Shawn was in awe from the moment we walked in.  Raj was able to feed him while he focused on the trains that surrounded us: on the model train track, on the wall décor, on the small tv in the corner, on the real tracks just outside window, everywhere!  Shawn was so enamored with the place that I’m actually not so sure he even realized he was eating!  We’ll definitely have to go back, even though the “old fashioned comfort food” wasn’t very impressive.

When our meal was over and Shawn regained his ability to blink, we headed home.  Mona was on her way over to spend the evening with Shawn, while Raj and I enjoyed a simple movie Date Night on our own.  Nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment