Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Buenas Noches, Mis Chicos

The new toddler bed setup must have been really exciting for Shawn because he woke up early this morning (6:30 am).  He switched between being awake and asleep off and on until 7:15 am, when I had to get ready for Abby to come over.  I got out some of his toys, turned on some music, and closed the door.  Raj was impressed that Shawn could entertain himself, unsupervised, and not get himself into trouble AND that he didn’t melt down when I left him alone in his room.  (I think part of the secret is that Shawn’s still a little tired in the morning, so he’s not exactly bouncing off the walls!  We’ve also practiced having short time periods to himself for months.  We started with just a few minutes and then built up from there.  I think it’s important that kids have a chance to do their own thing without adults directing their play.)

In Spanish class, Abby and Shawn were super hyper.  (It didn’t help that their friend, Xander, runs around throughout each class and his mom just looks helpless as to what to do with him.  She's a very nice person, but I'm nervous that Xander is going to have trouble once he gets into a structured setting like school, unless either he matures and figures it out on his own or his mom steps in to help him get under control.)  Normally, both Abby and Shawn are very interested in Diego’s lessons and activities, but Xander must have been more engaging today.  It’s a good thing that we were just reviewing counting today and they weren’t missing new stuff!  On the other hand, maybe a new topic would have kept them more attentive! Hmm…  Diego’s project was simply a coloring page of a girl holding balloons.  Abby liked the balloons, but I don’t think any of the kids paid much attention to actually counting them. 

Later, Abby’s nap was about an hour and 45 minutes.  Shawn took his first nap in his converted bed.  He must’ve been happy with it because, I woke him up after 2.5 hours!  (Again, no problems with him escaping when he’s not supposed to, now that he’s able to.)

In the evening, Raj and Shawn went to Open Gym at Gymboree and I went to a Mothers & More board meeting at Cozymel’s in Wheaton.  When I came home, I found Raj and Shawn asleep in the rocking chair… awww…

No comments:

Post a Comment