Monday, January 17, 2011

To Laundry or Travel? THAT is the Question!

Abby and Shawn started their day together in pajamas, but shortly after breakfast, they were both dressed and ready to play hard!  Though it was snowing outside, it was a bit too chilly for sledding or other winter toddler sports.  Maybe later in the week we’ll go for it again.

I had set a laundry basket by the basement stairs as a reminder to myself to continue a few loads of wash that I had brought down earlier.  Instead, the two opportunists had other things in mind.  After pushing it around the hallway, living room, and dining room, they finally parked it by the kitchen doorway.  I’m not sure if the basket was turned into a car, a boat, a train, or ??? But, they both called out, “Bye-BYYYYYYYEEEEEEE!” as they waved enthusiastically from inside.  I’m fully aware of the fact that this isn’t really possible, but at one point it sure sounded like Shawn even announced, “We’re going to Hawaii!”  as he grinned from ear to ear.  (Notice that Abby even has plastic postcards/envelopes in her hands!)
Bon Voyage!  Don’t forget to write home!

After traveling around the world, or at least around the main floor of our house, the kids were ready for lunch.  The patience to sit through the meal didn’t last very long – there was too much to do than to sit at a table!  So, we jumped into our winter gear and climbed into my car.  We’re off to Gymboree for Open Gym.

Shawn, as usual, loved the rocking horse style ride-upons and climbing onto anything that he could manage.  He even tested his own limits by cautiously walking up a small set of stairs without holding on – to anything!  He was so proud of himself when he made it to the top that he continued to go down the other side no-handed.  What happened to my little boy??

Abby joined Shawn on a two-rider rocking horse for a few gallops, though they didn’t always agree if the horse should be rocking back or forth and had a few near head bonks.  Abby was much more interested in ducking into tunnels and surprising me on the other side.  She also found a few slides that she made sure to polish a few dozen times.

Miss Elizabeth made sure to point out how well the two play together.  (Always a nice thing to hear!)  As Open Gym time was coming to an end, we were running out of steam and in need of some naptime.  Though we made sure to get Gymbo stamps on both hands for both kids before we left, getting back into our coats and things seemed much more challenging as we tried to leave Gymboree.  Our walk to the car was also much more slushy, since the snow was now very wet and mixed with sleet.  Yuck.  Shortly after pulling out of the parking lot, I was serenaded by a duet of snoring babes coming from the back seat.

Somehow, I managed to get both of them into the house without completely waking them up.  Abby woozily opened her eyes as I was unbuckling her, but when I put her into the pack & play, she went right back to sleep.  I was able to get Shawn out of the car and into his room before he woke up, but after a few paces in the rocking chair, he was back to sleep as well.

While they slept, I decided to make cookies.  It just seemed like the thing to do on a cold and snowy day like today… don’t ask me why…  The result was a mix between chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal cookies, and banana bread.  I made sure to set a bag aside for Abby to take home with her.  As I was taking the last of the cookies out of the oven, Bill called to see if Abby was napping or ready to come home.  After apparently having an event filled weekend, she needed her sleep, so I promised to call him back when she woke.  Luckily, Shawn woke up just a few minutes after Abby did, so he was able to say goodbye.

I had planned to go to Costco today, but the icy weather had a way of reprioritizing another trip outside.  Instead, Shawn and I played with his trains (‘Choo-Choo Train Tommy Woo-Woo,’ aka Thomas the Train)and school bus (‘shoo-bah’) while was dinner was cooking.  Mondays are generally later work nights for Raj, so Shawn started dinner on his own and kept me company as I made a bread to go with dinner.  He had an intermission from his meal when Raj got home and we all sat down in the dining room together.  I didn’t think Shawn would eat much more, but it was as if he hadn’t eaten anything earlier.  He polished off his plate of beef and veggie stew with noodles, a bowl full of pineapple (which he’s able to say pretty clearly now!), and then shared a cookie (‘tootee’) and some ice cream (‘eyesteem’) with me!  Fill up that belly and sleep well tonight – please!

After dinner, it was time to get ready for bed.  Where did the evening go??  Shawn’s starting to participate more actively when I’m getting him dressed and undressed.  He hasn’t had a lot of practice with zippers, snaps, or buttons yet, but he’s starting to realize that he can play a role in getting changed too.  He’s been able to bring his arms in and out of sleeves for months, but now he’s starting to do more.  If I start lifting his shirt over his head and let go, he’ll try to get it off the rest of the way.  He’ll also try to get his legs into his pants.  Socks are still a little tricky for him, though he knows very well where they go.

Shawn’s also getting really good at brushing his teeth now.  Rather than simply biting on the bristles, he’s actually starting to move the brush around a little on his own.  We still do a once-over ourselves, but even that is becoming easier.  Shawn’s much more willing to hold his mouth open and doesn’t push the brush out of his mouth with his tongue anymore.  Then he runs out of the bathroom to say (with a little coaching), “Night-night, Dadda!  Ah vah ooo, Dadda!” or “Night-night, Dadda!  I love you, Dadda!”  Then, it’s off to his room where he picks a book to read from his shelves, not always the same ones surprisingly!  We cuddle in the rocking chair for a story, or sometimes two.  (This is one of my favorite times of the whole day.)  Even I can get in a chapter or two in my own book as he drifts off.  The tough part is not falling asleep in the rocking chair myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment