Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Day of Books and Snow

Today felt like a busy day – and we didn’t even go anywhere!  After breakfast, which neither Abby nor Shawn were very interested in, the kids jumped right into playing without wasting any time.  (I didn’t even bother trying to get Shawn changed from his pajamas first!  I figured I may as well let him get a little “Abby fix” before interrupting them and tearing him away for the inconvenience of a diaper change and clothes.)  The two jumped between the window into the backyard and toys in the middle of the room.  Here’s a glimpse into their morning energy:

http://www.flipshare.com/login.aspx?nRecipient=QTc4NENDQzAtRkQ4Qy00Q0NCLUI0QUItMEVDQjk2M0EyOTIz&nFrame=MUE4QUI3QzktQzBCRi00QjlBLUI2NzYtOTA1RjlDMjVEMTZD&nMethod=ZW1haWw=&nMedia=NkEwNEE3NDYtN0JGRC00NzczLThERTUtQTIxM0M5NDk1Rjg5&emt=ac1a232e-4ef7-45cd-929e-4fe382d6ff17
(Sorry, I had trouble getting it to upload directly.)

We did have to revisit our lesson of sharing from yesterday.  Abby and Shawn found a small toy basketball that they couldn’t stand to see the other play with.  At one point Abby tried to push Shawn away as she clung protectively to the ball.  Soon after, Shawn thought that snatching the ball away from Abby meant that he could have possession.  So, both ended up removed from play time (and the beloved ball) for a few moments to have a 1:1 refresher on sharing with me.  Rather than tempting fate by leaving the ball out for more battles over domain, I distracted them while I put it out of sight and out of reach.  They didn’t seem to notice that the ball was missing for the rest of the afternoon.  Shawn finally found it after dinner, when sharing with a playmate wasn’t an issue anymore. 

When there was a brief lull in their play, I brought them upstairs to get Shawn changed and dressed for the day.  It looked like they were ready for a change in scenery anyway.  Afterwards, we played in Shawn’s room.  I let them play on their own while I grabbed their drinks from the kitchen and returned to find them completely engrossed in various literary selections and periodicals, including The Very Hungry Caterpillar, My Big Truck Book, Counting Kisses, Barnyard Dance, Snuggle Puppy, First Concepts: Shapes (A Lift-the-Flap Book), The Little House, Tonka: Book of Trucks, Guess How Much I Love You, and Highlights: Hive Five just to name a few from the stacks that were distributed about the floor.  (Notice the now stripped bookshelves in the background of their Book Club.)

Having all of the books out and Abby and Shawn quite familiar with the selections, we shifted smoothly and logically to some read aloud time and then to naps.  It was a bit of a challenge to get both toddlers to help cleanup before naptime, but eventually (and luckily) they bought into the game of “Clean Up” and the books found their way back onto the shelves.  (I am so relieved that they didn’t decide to investigate the second set of bookshelves in Shawn’s room!  Fortunately for me, a bin of toys, humidifier, and space heater may have been enough to block their access… or view.  )

Both naps were about an hour and a half.  It was a nice to have some quiet time to recharge.  When the troops awoke, they were desperate for “fooddrink,” as Shawn says it.  After not having much of an appetite at breakfast, they certainly had a change of heart, or stomach, at lunch!  They played hard all morning and worked up quite the hunger. 

Before getting into another round of toys (or bookshelves), I got the kids bundled into their winter gear.  It was time to go outside!  With the snow fall we had yesterday, this was the perfect opportunity to test Shawn’s new sled.  Both kids have their own bins where their coats, shoes, hats, etc. are stored so they have access to them and (more importantly) they can be responsible for putting them away when we come inside.  (Credit for this idea goes directly to my sister!)  Though Shawn sometimes needs help remembering to pull out his gloves or getting boots versus shoes, he knows exactly where his things are and loves to put them away on his own.  (Woohooo!)  Abby is new to this system, but knows where her bin is and is quickly catching on to what it’s all about.  I got Shawn suited up first…gloves, hat, one-piece full-body snowsuit, boots.  Done.  (When I saw him stagger around in all of his winter gear, I kept thinking of the movie A Christmas Story and the little brother who could barely move in his snowsuit.)  Then it was Abby’s turn.  She had no problem with me helping her into her snow pants or slipping her arms into her jacket.  On the other hand, she wanted nothing to do with gloves or her hat.  (Sorry, kiddo, it’s cold outside!)  Once they were one, she was fine.  But, then I made her resistance to being bundled worse.  As I zipped up the inner layer of her coat, she wriggled at just the wrong moment and I accidentally zipped her up.  Literally.  As I pulled the zipper to the top, it pinched her neck.  Ouch!  That hurt!  She was not a happy camper.  I felt terrible. 

After dozens of apologies and lots of hugs, Abby stopped crying and was ready to move on.  She marched to the door as if to say, “Why are we all bundled up like this anyway?!  Let’s go!  This better be worth it!”  Now that both kids were finally dressed in snow suits, hats, gloves, and boots, I was ready for a nap!  (Thank goodness no one was potty training, because inevitably it would be time for someone to go by now!)

At first Shawn toddled to my car, ready to be lifted into his car seat.  When he saw me pull his sled out of the garage, he realized that we wouldn’t be needing Mommy’s car after all.  He was first in line to jump into the seat of the sled and go for a ride.  (Until now, he’d only ridden it on the living room rug inside.)  Abby was a little hesitant to get in the snow at first.  I’m sure she was still a little sore (physically and emotionally) from the zipper incident.  But, it didn’t take very long after watching Shawn going for a ride that she wanted to join in the fun too.  They (reluctantly) took turns while I worked up a sweat schlepping them around dizzying laps in our front yard.  When I needed to catch my breath and regain my sense of equilibrium, we trekked to the untrampled side-yard of our cul de sac to play in the untouched snow.

Shawn's Sledding Video

Abby's Sledding Video:
http://www.flipshare.com/login.aspx?nRecipient=QTc4NENDQzAtRkQ4Qy00Q0NCLUI0QUItMEVDQjk2M0EyOTIz&nFrame=MUE4QUI3QzktQzBCRi00QjlBLUI2NzYtOTA1RjlDMjVEMTZD&nMethod=ZW1haWw=&nMedia=OEREQTlEQzAtNzAxQy00MDRGLUIxMUQtMDJDQ0ExNkQ0Njg2&emt=ac1a232e-4ef7-45cd-929e-4fe382d6ff17
(Sorry, I had trouble getting Abby's sledding video to upload directly.)
  When we finally came inside, cheeks were rosy and noses were runny.  We had just enough time for a much needed snack and drink before Bill came for Abby.  (I hope these afternoon snacks aren't interfering with Abby's dinner!)  I confessed to Bill that if she was hesitant to put her coat on, I’m to blame and her little pink bruise was her justification.

No comments:

Post a Comment