Last night, we were hit with "the Blizzard of 2011," as the news stations are calling it. We're doing well, though we're pretty bundled up. Watching the wind blow the snow around yesterday and last night was amazing. The BBQ grill in our backyard is now completely buried under snow and there's a drift that goes halfway up the windows in the back of our house. I think it must be between 5 - 6 feet high. On the other hand, my car hardly has any snow on it at all. (Pretty incredible micrometeorology at work here!) I tried taking pictures last night as the blizzard was rolling in, but it was getting dark, so I couldn’t get enough to make a good time lapse series. Still, you can see some photos from last night and then today.
Since so much snow came so quickly, everything shut down - Lake Shore drive even closed! Here's are two photos of cars burried and abandoned there last night:
This picture was taken on an abandoned bus that was on Lake Shore:
My attempt at time lapse photos was no where near as good as this guy's:
There are a lot of great blizzard pictures and stories. Here are just a couple:
Entire towns were closing businesses and school districts, so Raj got to stay home today, too. (That doesn't happen very often.) I dragged the boys outside to play in the snow earlier today - sledding, snowballs, and climbing on the mounds left behind by the snow plows. Shawn wasn’t nearly as impressed by all of the snow as we were. I guess sledding with Mom and Dad just isn’t the same as playing in the snow with Abby. He was less than amused by the whole experience. He did crack a few smiles when we pushed him around in his Cozy Coupe, but with all of the ice on the road, that was a lot of work! It was nice to come in for hot chocolate when we were done. I think Shawn had more fun playing with our snow gear inside than he did while we were outside! Oh, well. We tried. Here's the video.
We're supposed to be getting a few more inches tonight, but I think the major part of the storm finished last night. In fact, it's actually really pretty and relatively warm out right now – as long as you’re not trying to drive anywhere!
Oh, yeah – and Happy Ground Hog Day! I have a feeling winter's going to be sticking around for some time- it's at least going to be a while for all of this snow to melt. I'd be surprised if Punxsutawney Phil even cared to venture out to find his shadow today!
No comments:
Post a Comment