Thursday, March 27, 2014

Sweets for the sweet: success



We got a cake. Phew! We went to The Sugar Path in downtown Geneva. (Tina, a harpist friend from U of I, plays there for special events and gave them a raving review when I put a message out on FaceBook asking for bakery help.) We'd been there once before and were deliciously pleased with our treats. It has a display case of very unique cupcakes. For example: the Beer & Pretzels cupcake (chocolate cake infused with stout beer, topped with stout beer infused buttercream and pretzels) or the Pancake Cupcake (buttermilk cake topped with maple swiss meringue frosting and bits of real bacon). Not your typical bakery! Plus, they get their fruits from local farmers (and probably other local ingredients, too), which I'm happy to support.

Lilly's first birthday cake will be pretty, yet simple, since it's hard to tell what her 'likes' are yet. (Shawn was mesmerized by airplanes by his first birthday, so I happily ran with it. Lilly is still discovering her preferences.) It'll be a round cake with white & chocolate layers, buttercream filling, and buttercream frosting. It'll be pink & yellow with "Happy First Birthday, Lilly" written on it. They said if we want to bring in decorations to go with the party theme, they'd be happy to add them, but they don't provide that sort of thing. I'm fine with that. They said they'd make it pretty and "Spring-y." It all sounds simple enough, but I really have no idea what it's going to look like! They're the experts and, from the treats we've had from there, I trust it'll be great. I'm sure that, while I didn't select extravagant flavors, it'll be perfectly tasty.

We couldn't possibly leave empty handed, so we brought home a Black + White cupcake (moist chocolate cake filled with dark chocolate fudge topped with creamy vanilla frosting and drizzled with chocolate sauce), a Peanut Butter Cookie cupcake (peanut butter cake, frosted with peanut butter frosting and garnished with pieces of homemade peanut butter cookies), and a PopCorn cupcake (buttermilk corn cake, frosted with a honey infused buttercream and adorned with popcorn). As we paid, the girl behind the counter complimented Shawn & Lilly's patience and politeness while she and I were figuring out the cake. Shawn beamed. Me too.

Dinner was pretty blah compared to the decadent desserts we shared afterwards! I'm ok with that, too. They were amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment