Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Sweets for the sweet, but not today



The bakery in downtown St. Charles that I went to a few days ago, but found closed, has actually closed-closed, as in it's gone out of business! What a shame! We saw it very much in business after the St. Patrick's Day parade, but that must've been their last hurrah. Now the display cases are empty & the walls are bare. It looked like a very tasty place and we never had the chance to try it. Damn.

I remembered seeing another bakery on Randall Rd., a very big road with just about any restaurant and shop that you could possibly need, not too far from our house. We drove over hoping for better luck than our first stop. Nope. It's closed & for sale signs are plastered in the windows. Strike 2.

I couldn't recall seeing other bakeries in the area. My phone / internet searches where bringing up the two I just tried, in addition to place like Panara, The Corner Bakery, Bakers Square, etc. Not exactly helpful. (I know that grocery stores, Costco, etc. can do cakes, but I'm hoping to support a local business. Plus, Shawn's past cakes have been over the top amazing, that I'd be a bit disappointed to get Lilly a generic sheet cake that anyone else could also get. Those are perfect for other occasions, but I'm trying hard not to use them for her first birthday.)

In an effort to get *something* accomplished today, since ordering a cake was not happening, we found a toy store and picked up a present for Shawn's friend, whose birthday party is tomorrow. It was a tough decision to settle on just one thing, but we thought he'd like a superhero Lego kit and added a few dozen things to Shawn's wishlist, naturally.
Glad we got something crossed off the to-do list. Geesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment