Sunday, October 2, 2011

Long Grove Apple Festival

Happy 142nd Birthday to Mahatma Gandhi

Shawn and I slept in while Raj went off to tailgate for the Bears’ game.  Though I was half-awake long before, I really woke to the sounds of Shawn playing in the corner I set up for him in the computer room.  (There’s a small table, crayons, and drawers with paper, coloring books, etc.)  It’s rare for him to get out of bed on his own, not to mention wander into another room without calling for attention.  I took advantage of his independence and listened to his quiet playtime from a distance.  Eventually, he ran into greet me and we snuggled and played under the covers until the lure of eating breakfast was too strong.

This morning Shawn proclaimed, “Momma, I was a baby.  I’m bigger and bigger.  I’m a boy.  And, I’m starting to get a man.”  You are absolutely correct, just not too fast, pleeeeeease!

I had planned to spend the day at the Apple Festival in Long Grove.  But, it took a lot longer than I expected to convert the van from a harp-hauler to a child-hauler.  The fact that our neighbor’s daughter, Yazi, came over didn’t exactly speed things up.  She and Shawn decided to pull toys out of the garage, which would have been a great way to occupy Shawn while I got the van setup, but it didn’t work out that way.  I ended up chatting with her mom for a while… we investigated a praying mantis on their back window… Yazi and Shawn ended up playing in the van (though I did get her to 'play' with the hand-vacuum and suck up Shawn and Abby's stray snacks!)… and by the time I had everything ready to go, I looked up to see Raj home from the Bears’ game and we hadn’t left the house yet!  So much for spending the whole day at the festival!

Luckily, I convinced Raj to go to Long Grove with us.  We only got to spend about two hours there, but it was worth it.  Shawn got to ride a pony and a tot-sized train.  We bought a mini-caramel apple pie, full-size apple pie, a caramel apple dipped in cinnamon sugar and white chocolate, and chocolate mummy on a stick (which we ate right away - YUM)!
I took pictures of Shawn playing while we were there, but ironically...
 

...where are the apples?? (I swear it really was an APPLE fest!)

We stopped at Barnaby’s Family Inn for dinner on the way home, since the food vendors at the fest were shutting down.  It wasn’t at all what we expected, though it was certainly family friendly.  I wasn’t impressed with the food at all, but it was priced about right.  There were patrons of all ages and the parking lot was full.  (Shawn was mesmerized by a table of squealing tweens next to us.)  It was a popular place to come, but I don’t think we’ll be revisiting any time soon!

Just before bedtime, Shawn told Raj, “I have to go pee-pee!” and pulled down his pants.  Raj was busy brushing his teeth, so after he quickly escorted him into the bathroom, I helped him get onto the toilet.  And, he peed!!!  He hadn’t announced it after-the-fact, like he has in the past, he announced it BEFORE he went and was able to get to the toilet in time to actually go!  YIPPEEE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment