![]() |
| Emerging from the tunnel cocoon. |
![]() |
| Another butterfly hatching from the cocoon. |
Then the toddler butterflies ‘flew’ off of a foam block and landed on a squishy mattress.
![]() |
| Flapping her pink butterfly wings - and wearing the perfect shirt for it! |
When Level 5 was over, we got to hang out for an extra few minutes before the next got started. I saw Meghan, a harpist friend from U of I, and her 18 month old! It turns out that she recently moved to Lombard, the town where Shawn’s second birthday party was, and now she’s enrolled this Gymboree. Small world!
When her class was ready to begin, I ushered Shawn and Abby outside to the car for snack time. I contemplated finding a park during our Gymboree break, but they had actually worked up a sweat from running and playing so hard in class and the transition time! Besides, I was a little nervous about how easy it would be to tear them away from a new park, to bring them to music class. So, we relaxed in the car with the doors and windows open, listening to music, snacking, and coloring some wipe-off boards.
Ms. Wendy led the music class today. (I think she’ll be doing it on a semi-permanent basis now). It was a country and folk song theme, but I've forgotten them already, so I'll have to get the names of all the songs next week. Ms. Wendy read She’ll Be Coming Round the Mountain by Philemon Sturges and Ashley Wolff. At one point, Abby did a ‘fall of faith’ (that’s the best way I can describe her act of plopping into my lap without looking, much like those trust-building exercises). Normally, she falls into my lap backwards, so we’re both facing the same way, but today, she came at me face first. Actually, teeth first. She bumped her front teeth right on the bridge of my nose. At first, I was worried that she hurt herself too, but she didn’t seem to notice that anything was any different from her past ‘catch me – ready or not!’ moments. Meanwhile, I’ve got a bright red mark in the middle of my face now! Note to self – catch sooner! The final song of the day was a song about falling leaves that I found online and shared with Wendy:
Guess What's Falling From the Trees?
(To the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star")
(To the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star")
Guess what’s falling from the trees?
Slowly, slowly come the leaves!
Red and orange and green and brown,
Twirling, swirling to the ground!
Guess what’s falling from the trees?
Slowly, slowly come the leaves!
©Ashley K. Alaimo
It was a good day to go to the Schaumburg Farmers’ Market. I found the parmesan bread that Raj liked so much and when I bought it, the vendor gave me three free muffins. I stopped by an apple vendor to buy a gallon of apple cider and we each sampled free apple cider donuts, we said hi to the Olive Man and he gave Shawn a free pack of black olives, even though I offered to pay for them! AND, when we got our habitual crepe (strawberry and Nutella this time), Shawn and I were filmed for a promotional video! (They were interested in Abby, too, but I didn’t want to give permission for something like that without talking to Shelley first.) I had no idea what to say, but I stumbled through some blabber, hoping they’ll be able to use a second or two of it to help promote their business. On the way home, Abby informed me, "I'm sticky. I need a bath at my house," and I promised to let her parents know!
Weather Underground claimed that today reached 84°F and, after sitting outside for our break between Gymboree classes and perusing the Schaumburg Farmers’ Market, I believe it! However, it’s hard to believe that we had a 30° swing in temperatures today! Mother Nature just can’t make up her mind about what season we’re having!
When Raj came home, he and Shawn put up Halloween decorations in the front yard and in living room. I took the opportunity to Skype with Oma, Jennifer, Jonathan, and Elise. (I'll fully admit to a twinge of jealousy that they all get to see each other this weekend without the aid of video-conferencing, but I guess I should be happy that we at least have that!)







I'll admit to worrying about the jealousy thing. I'm just going to have to figure out a way to drag Roselle closer to Julian. Next on my list.
ReplyDelete