With personal stories and mind blowing magic, you will see and hear how Rick, as a ten year old boy, used reading to help achieve his goal of becoming a magician. During his show, you can actually hear your children "ooh" and "ahh" when beautiful live doves make their magical appearance, a table seems to float, and yes, one of the kids from the audience will levitate in mid-air!
And, it was right on. I tried to watch and predict how some of his tricks were done, but he was a pretty good master of illusion, because I couldn’t tell how he got the white doves to appear from behind scarves, a rabbit from a box that looked empty, or a second grader to float! He did a decent job touching on the importance of imagination, reading, science, and education in general and how they are integral to his magic; but, I think the kids just wanted to see more tricks!Workers began replacing the shingles on the roof of our building today, but won’t actually make it to our end until about Wednesday. With all the old shingles being thrown from above, I’ll be sure not to park in the driveway when they get here!
Their work, even though they were at the other end of our building, made naptime a bit challenging. With all the hammering, nail gunning, yelling, radio blaring, and crashing debris on the ground, it wasn’t exactly a peaceful or relaxing afternoon. I was hesitant to close the windows to block some of the noise because of the absolutely gorgeous weather yet again today. (Partly cloudy, high 76°F / low 54°F) But, I promised myself that if the kids had trouble sleeping, I’d shut the windows right away. Luckily, the commotion outside faded into white noise fairly quickly, because both fell asleep without much dispute.
Abby woke just in time for Shelley to come home early. They were going to a doctor’s appointment for Abby and needed to leave a few minutes early to get there on time. Shawn woke just in time to say goodbye to them.
A little while later, Grandma Fanny came over for her English lesson. I introduced the short u sound today. She loves the sets of picture cards I’ve given her for each short vowel sound. I can tell that she practices with them all the time. I told her that I have an activity for Thursday that will review all the vowel sounds. She was a little anxious to hear that, but I think she’s ready to apply the sounds to more than just the set of pictures she’s been working with.
After our lesson, Shawn declared that we needed to go to the store for milk and salad. He was right about the milk, but I’m not sure where the need for salad came from! He said that he wanted to get it for Dadda! I agreed to the trip, but tried to explain that we had enough salad already and Dadda wouldn’t be home to eat it for dinner tonight anyway. (Raj worked late and then met up with Shrenik to watch the Bears’ game.)
When we got back home after our grocery run, I asked Shawn what he wanted for dinner. He replied, “Milk.” Good thing we just bought some! “What else would you like to eat?” “Carrots.” “Anything else?” “Potatoes.” Alrighty! You said it! So, we had seasoned potatoes, some carrots, and some leftovers. Shawn did a great job eating and then decided he didn’t need any dessert. I was happy to get in so many vegetables after such a rich dinner last night!
After dinner, Shawn earned his final sticker on his Spiderman Potty Paper. (He almost had a meltdown when there was one more sticker to go because he reeeeeally wanted a ‘toy surprise’ NOW! But, we managed to hold off for another 30 minutes until it was time to try again and he earned his last sticker. It was worth the wait.
He pulled a heavy tow truck from the Big Black Bag of Toy Surprises. We even figured out how to hook it up with the ice cream truck, and (as long as we were extremely gentle) we could actually tow it around the floor. Shawn seemed pretty happy with his new truck. He was sure to show Raj and tell him all about it when he got home.
When Raj came home, he said he finally made an appointment to see a doctor about his sinus issues (that he’s been having for months). Apparently, Raj has a sinus infection, which explains why none of the over-the-counter pills and sprays that he’s been using religiously have helped at all. So, over the course of the treatment of the new meds (10 days), he should notice an improvement. (Keeping my fingers crossed!)
My cousin, Andrea, made a post on FaceBook that I had to share:
Of course you know that Oct 8 is Andrea's birthday!
ReplyDelete