Monday, April 4, 2011

Word of the Day: Loquacious

Shawn interrupted our lunch today with, “Ah-ehm, ah-ehm, ah-ehm! (tapping his throat) Tengo, tengo, tengo sed!” ( I am, I am, I am thirsty!) It took me a moment to figure out what was going on and that he wasn’t just speaking in jibberish before I realized he was trying to sing part of a song we do at Language Stars before water is served during snack time. Sure enough, I’d forgotten to give him his sippy cup. Always full of surprises…

We went to Open Gym at Gymboree and saw some old friends, who we haven’t seen in a while. Abby was excited to play with a few girls a little older than her. Shawn joined a game of basketball with a little boy who exclaimed, “Slam dunk!” each time his ball went through the hoop. Before I knew it, Shawn was calling out, “Slam dunk!” each time he threw the ball - into the basketball hoop or elsewhere. (I’m not sure I would’ve been able to interpret what he was trying to say if I hadn’t seen the story unfold, but since I knew the context, it was pretty funny!)

We didn’t stay at Open Gym the whole allotted time because Abby was giving me the impression that she was getting tired. She’d find a ball and then sit on my lap to watch the other children playing. If she lost her grip on her ball and it rolled away, she’d get up to retrieve it, but otherwise she was content to sit and watch, sometimes even leaning her head back on me. That was my cue that it was time to go.

Moments after pulling out of the Gymboree parking lot, we saw a semi-truck with the silhouette of a horse in its logo. Abby was very excited to see the horse and gave out an energized, “Neigh! Neigh! Neigh!” And, for the entire 18.1 miles and 40+ minutes it took us to get home (I stopped at an ATM along the way), Abby impersonated an extremely loquacious pony. (Loquacious – good word, eh?) I’m not sure what happened to Sleepy Abby that I saw back at Gymboree, but we must have left her behind! This Abby’s rhythmic repetition was so mind-numbing that it actually put Shawn to sleep!

When we got home, I parked in the garage and left Shawn in his car seat to nap. (With the rocky sleep he’s been having lately, there was no sense in disrupting him.) On the other hand, Abby was no longer interested in sleeping. So, she put Blue Baby Doll in time out (I wonder what she did!), had a leisurely snack, and then I put her in the Pack & Play. She talked to herself for a good 30 minutes (including a few versus of No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed!") before finally drifting off. In fact, Shawn woke from his nap before Abby did, which NEVER happens. I even texted Bill that Abby was still sleeping, so he decided to keep working until I let him know that she was up. When she finally did wake up, Shawn joined me to get her out of bed. He rushed up to the side of her Pack & Play and asked, “Abby, have a good nap, Abby?” and she answered with a wholehearted, “Yeah!” I would say so!

No comments:

Post a Comment