Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Weather comfort

I came home from an evening with Mothers & More friends last night in the middle of a pretty severe storm.
"PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCE DAMAGING WIND IN EXCESS OF 60 MILES PER HOUR...DESTRUCTIVE HAIL...DEADLY LIGHTNING...AND VERY HEAVY RAIN." - excerpt from The Weather Channel's Severe Thunderstorm Warning
(It was one of the few times in my life that I was tempted to pull over while driving because of the poor visibility and wind! It's not often I drive 35 mph on I-290 or drive with so little traffic!)

When I went in to Shawn's room to kiss him goodnight, like I always do if I'm not home at bedtime, he was wide awake. He didn't seem bothered by the weather, but still asked if I'd lay down with him for a little while. Once I got Lilly changed and got ready for bed myself, I came back to lay down next to him. As I put my head on his pillow, I could feel his arm underneath. Before I could do anything about it, he curled his arm around my shoulders and brought my head over to his shoulder. It was as if he thought I was scared of the storm and was trying to comfort me, like I've done for him on so many nights when he couldn't sleep. Within seconds, I heard his breathing change to a sleepy rhythm, but I laid in his arms for a few minutes longer before getting up. No reason to rush.
My caring little man.

Part of me can't wait to see him grown and how he'll be taking care of others (whether his own family or as part of a career), but another really huge part of me just wants to freeze time during moments like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment