Friday, February 19, 2016

Lilly got her first taste of an Immediate Care office last night.

She had a Sit & Think for hitting me and we were talking it out afterwards. I had her on my lap, facing me. All was good and she even started getting silly. She flung herself backwards and I caught her by her forearm before she hit the ground. She started crying, but I thought she was scared from falling. Then she cradled her arm, refused to use it or move it, pointing and saying that just below her elbow hurt. Maybe I grabbed her arm too hard when I caught her, so we got an ice pack. The tears stopped, but she still refused to move or use her arm. It wasn't red, swollen, or anything like that.
She's also been battling a nasty cold for the past few days and today she actually had her energy back, so I figured that by this point in the day with no nap, she probably used up the energy she had and after a rest or at least some quiet time, her arm won't be an issue any more.
We brought the ice pack with us (and a few beloved toys) to Shawn's swimming class. No tears, but still no movement - even when I'd try to hand her a toy when her other hand was already holding something. She fell asleep in the car on the way home. When I unbuckled her to bring her inside, the slightest movement of her arm woke her up wincing. She rested on my shoulder until Raj came home.
When he arrived, I explained all that had gone on in the past 3 hours. He tried to get her to move it, to grab his hand, to wiggle her fingers. She cried. He moved her arm to test it's range of motion. She screamed. He felt around because there was no swelling or bruising. She cried more.

Off to Immediate Care we went.

She stopped crying in the car during the 5 minute drive. As we were getting registered in the waiting room, she started playing with a toy car. With both hands. She even reached for a pen. With her hurt arm! When we saw a doctor, she gave him a high five and waved and a thumbs up. With her hurt arm!

The doctor giggled from behind his mask. She was cured. He diagnosed her with Nurse Maid's Elbow. When I grabbed her arm as she was falling, it probably popped her elbow out of joint and in the process of bringing her to the Immediate Care, it popped back into place.

Such a relief that it wasn't anything more serious. A bit aggravating that we ended up not needing any medical intervention but will have to pay for the visit anyway. Ugh.

She was back to herself for the rest of the evening (which was a quick dinner & then bed). And she loved the plastic medical bracelet with her name on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment