It was a very wet and gray Chicago fall day today. Thank goodness we could burn off some energy at Gymboree! I was so anxious to get the kids going that I got my times mixed up. I thought our art class started at 9. So, we were running late and I bustled Shawn and Abby out the door. We got there well after start time, so the Ms. Kim (at the front desk) and Ms. Mary Beth (teaching a Play & Learn Level 4 class) asked me which class we were attending. I explained that we were running late this morning and were supposed to be in the art class that was well underway. After a few giggles, they both looked at me and said, “I don’t think so!” It turns out, the class that was going on at that time was a Level 1 Art class for 18-24 month olds (though no one actually showed up for it). Our class, Level 2 Art, didn’t start for another hour! Ooops!! Luckily, they are very accommodating and invited us to join Ms. Mary Beth’s Play & Learn Level 4 group, even though the other children were 16-22 months old. Then, we even got to participate in half of a Level 5 until our real class was ready to begin. Oy! I know everyone makes mistakes, but it’s not the first time I’ve done this! It’s been about a year since the last time, so it’s not like it’s a frequent occurrence, but… still! Get it together, woman!
While we spent all morning at Gymboree, Shawn and Abby did a great job playing with the younger kids. I think they had a good time doing some of the activities that they don’t get to do in the older levels anymore (like playing the Freeze game on the air log, a lap ride to The Noble Duke of York, etc.)
Shawn's a work horse pulling a wagon.
Playing with the Rainbow Rope (bungie)
Two horses going over a big hill.
Giddyup!
Abby shaking her horse tail
Shawn with running with his horse tail
It was fun to watch them interact with the little ones too. Shawn definitely recognizes that there’s something about the children younger than he is. He is very gentle and careful when he’s around them, especially babies. Other people that notice this make sure to point out, “It looks like Shawn’s ready to be a big brother!” Yup, I totally agree he’ll make a great big brother…
In Art class, Ms. Kim subbed for Ms. LouAnn, who was out of town for the holiday. We did a review unit combing all the shapes that we’ve worked with over the past few weeks. After free painting for a few minutes, we started our projects. The first involved stamping various shaped blocks into paint. Ms. Kim encouraged the kids to combine their shapes into new things, like stamp a triangle over a square to make a house or a triangle over a circle to be a face wearing a hat, but the kids (not just Shawn and Abby) were more interested in covering their papers with randomly stamped shapes. The grownups tried to point out their accidental creations like, “That line of circles looks like a caterpillar!” but after a while, the kids just stamped freely. The second project was a simple collage of paper triangles, felt circles, tissue paper rectangles, and circle smiley-face stickers. (Neither project were very creative or original – and, unfortunately, I don’t think it had anything to do with Ms. LouAnn having a sub today! I sure hope they pick up the slack in the next unit… or I may just have to start suggested some resources for new ideas!)
When we got home from Gymboree today, Shawn and Abby played while I got lunch ready. Abby was the first one eager to sit down to eat, but lately she’s convinced herself that she can’t get into her chair by herself - even though she’s done it hundreds of times before! As the problem solver that she is, today she got Shawn involved. Here’s how it unfolded…
Nice job catching a glimpse of the placemat! Thanks! One side is in order and in caps, the other in random and lower case (should've kept it in order though too, oops). We have others with numbers, shapes, and modes of transportation. My favorite, though, is a template for a place setting. I'd really love to invent a placemat that's the same size as the ones I already made, but in which I can change an insert in a pocket type thing. That way I can use sheets like the ones I made for Shawn's high chair or some of the practice pages from Language Stars or other pages from the computer printer. The best part is that Shawn & Abby pick their own place mats and put them on the table. It gives them a job while I get their plates ready.
Since when are you ready to start class at 9:00? Seems a bit early to me!
ReplyDeleteNice place mat with the ABCs at Abby's seat.
LOL Since I get up at 7:00 for Abby and since I realized that the less time we are at home, the less I have to clean up!
ReplyDeleteNice job catching a glimpse of the placemat! Thanks!
ReplyDeleteOne side is in order and in caps, the other in random and lower case (should've kept it in order though too, oops). We have others with numbers, shapes, and modes of transportation. My favorite, though, is a template for a place setting.
I'd really love to invent a placemat that's the same size as the ones I already made, but in which I can change an insert in a pocket type thing. That way I can use sheets like the ones I made for Shawn's high chair or some of the practice pages from Language Stars or other pages from the computer printer.
The best part is that Shawn & Abby pick their own place mats and put them on the table. It gives them a job while I get their plates ready.